Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What Poverty and Terrorism Have in Common



I hope I don't ruin any surprises for you, but if you are a part of the human race and reading this blog, I would hope you know this already.

Osama Bin Laden was killed.

(No that picture is not Bin Laden; try to connect the dots after you read this post)

So, my take as an amateur counter-terrorism enthusiast:

I have always equated poverty and terrorism as being equally elusive of our eradication efforts. The pronoun "our" in that sentence applies to every person on this globe who has ever thought the world could be a better place if children didn't starve to death because they drew the short straw for the continent on which they were born or if extremists would voice their opinions peacefully. The thing with poverty and terrorism alike is the virtually impossible task of eliminating either one because of the complicated nature of the problem itself. Both terrorism and poverty, arguably, come down to who we are and how we live.

I will let you digest the implications of this for poverty because this blog is supposed to be about the effect of Bin Laden's death. Let it simmer, however, alongside the thought that terrorism is the same. While you do that, I will provide a bullet-list of my thoughts.

  • Killing Bin Laden had to be done. Sorry, folks, but it did. I don't like the death penalty any more than the next housewife, but can you imagine trying to keep Bin Laden secure somewhere? What a nightmare. Not only logistically, but also in terms of media. His popularity among Muslims was getting lower and turning him into a public display would only make issues worse by potentially elevating his status as a martyr and rallying his followers to come to his aid. I don't even want to think about the things he would say in custody that would be blared out to the world and the unraveling aftermath...
  • His body had to be thrown into the ocean. Conspirators rejoice at what I heard someone call the "next Elvis." But, from a PR standpoint, this really was best. Islamic tradition requires quick burial. Saudi Arabia turned down having the body buried there. So, giving the geographic location, where do you put the body? Afghanistan? Ha. Excuse me while I laugh. For those of you who think "just burn the body" or "who cares about customs" need I remind you of several key phrases in Obama's speech that told the nation (as well as emphasizing existing implications) that this action was significant symbolically as well as politically. Bin Laden, scapegoat of terrorism and anti-American/anti-freedom/anti-democracy sentiment, was called a "murderer of Muslims" among other things in that speech, and Obama certainly would not be able to defend the USA's actions as such and alienate that population at the same time. Imagine Achilles tying the body of Hector to a carriage after Hector cried to preserve his body for his family, honor, soul, and gods (also, I remind you that even after the body was returned, Achilles only offered a 12-day truce for funeral services before the war would continue). Same concept. Inducing vengeance was not the goal of Bin Laden's death, so, excuse my French, but skrew you, conspirators.
  • It's good to shake up Pakistan, but the US needs to be careful. Relations in the area are still quite strained. Thank goodness Bin Laden can no longer have the option to use the revolutions sweeping across the Middle East as a rallying point. I don't know if he actually would have since he seemed to be faring well in his pseudo-mansion in the suburbs, but he can't now, and Pakistan needed a bit of an awakening since they had mixed roles in this whole business.
  • Obama, you sly politician. Kicking off Trump's show? Justice. Using this as a way to boost opinion polls? Foolish. In many ways, I think he should have kept it quiet.
  • The TSA lines will still be unbearable (sorry). Even though TSA got rid of the color system, those long lines will continue and you will still have to separate your liquids into a ziploc bag and put your laptop in its own individual bin. Why? Because Bin Laden died. Not every single extremist. And it would take considerable effort to scale back at this point because it would be that much easier for things to slip through and then who would get blamed when some random guy gets stabbed with a knitting needle on a red eye? TSA, of course.
  • Thank goodness this isn't The Battle of Algiers. Cutting off the head of this leadership will actually do some considerable damage on the image of Al Qaeda. It's not like Bin Laden was actually involved in operations at this point, really. He was a figure-head. To replace him in that capacity? Yeah, I suspect the lines for that job are about as long as the French Cardinal Musketeer recruitment lines for Louis XIV.
  • It's economics, dear Watson. The results of this victory are not long-lasting politically or economically. The only lasting result is that of resolution. The issue is closed. No doubt, the economy will soon preoccupy our thoughts once again.


So, yes. Osama has died. However, terrorism has not. Nor will it. Like poverty, terrorism will always remain because, frankly, it is virtually impossible to get the entire world to act together on anything (which is what it would require to eliminate either of these atrocities). The US can, however, help the situation and impact as many lives as possible. Like sending rice to North Korea, rather than spending US efforts and troops to spread democracy to try and calm the swell, I hope counterterrorism is emphasized and troops are withdrawn quickly. One crazy man is eliminated, now let's keep working on making the rest of the world better. And, for Pete's sake, if you think killing Osama Bin Laden was inhumane, I don't understand your logic. This was a huge blow for the future of terrorism. Not just an act of revenge. So, let's keep going. I, for one, will never stop fighting terrorism or poverty because that truly would be inhumane.

4 comments:

  1. I understand that Bin Laden had to die. I get that. What I'm not proud of are the celebrations. It feels morally wrong to celebrate the death of people, no matter the personal history. More so, it feels wrong to resolve killing with more killing but then we get into the sticky debates of war and that is not a good place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; celebrating his death is not good. Being glad he can't hurt anybody else, that's good. But parties in the streets? Not so good.

    Oh, and when did you get married? "I don't like the death penalty any more than the next housewife,"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not so sure people are actually celebrating and partying in the streets because a man died. I'm pretty sure (at least this is why I am celebrating inside) they are celebrating what it means to have such a man finally found and stopped.

    Oh, and sorry you weren't invited. I eloped last week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sitting here thinking about what a Jew must have felt upon learning Hitler had died. Elation, I'm sure. Would they have celebrated? I think that would depend on how long it had been after the holocaust. So, since Hitler died in the midst of the terrors, I don't think I personally would have celebrated, necessarily. But if Hitler had eluded the world for 9+ years and then been killed, I think as a Jew I would have celebrated. I would have felt like the horrors had finally ended, progress made, and deep anger inside of me put to rest with the body of that man. For Americans (especially those closely affected by 9/11), I think it's like that. Celebrate that it (the attacks of 9/11) is finally deemed "over." What caused it to be over? Just so happened to be Bin Laden dying.

    ReplyDelete