Thursday, May 5, 2011

Music and Life


To throw a bit of random into this blog, a post dedicated to something that's been on my mind a lot: music. Everyone likes some kind of music and with today's technology, you can easily get to whatever kind of music that is for you. This blog is titled "Do what you like; like what you do." Well, folks. I encourage you to listen or play some music for yourself today.

I happened upon a new product being developed right now. It is a game to provide an incentive to practice (without paying for weekly lessons). I am lucky enough to be in the country they are founded in, and I will be visiting them to test their demo game. If you like the idea of helping people stick to practicing to actually learn an instrument, you should like them on Facebook to give them support since they are just starting out. I have high hopes of finally learning the guitar with this program. Check out their website here.



Since being here in Finland, I find myself in a situation I seem to constantly be in. I travel a lot, and I always want to take my sheet music with me when I foresee the presence of a piano (I haven't ever thought I would be with the big low brass instruments I also play). However, I have a lot of sheet music and not a lot of weight or space left over in my bags whenever I travel. Problem. Big problem for me. So, I came up with a solution that I will share on this blog because I don't care so much about copyright issues or the red tape of getting this done myself.

But, I want someone (Mac, perhaps?) to develop an iPad-like device that is as flat as possible, with as much storage capacity as possible, with a screen that is large enough for two 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper with an easy-to-turn-page system for sheet music. You could put this device on a music stand or on a piano. It would of course have a tablet feature so you could "write" on your music and mark it. Wifi to be able to download new sheet music and watch videos online, listen to songs, etc. A MIDI reader file to read sheet music (so, speakers), and a metronome and tuner built in. Of course, the screen must be able to be dimmed/brightened.

This would be a music-loving traveler's dream product. I am awful with memorization, so that option is out. I can't say I like the idea of not having tangible pages for something I hold so dear (turning things digital still doesn't make me feel like it's as real). However, I would rather have digitalized sheet music than no music at all.

Hm. Music. Yes. That's what I have to say about that today. Here is one choice of music you may not know about to get you started on your musical day today. Or, you can look down a couple posts and see the Raiden guitar song that is so amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment